So as I’ve been accepted in Plymouth University to do Digital Art and Technology, I figured I’d get into the spirit of things by starting my concept art (digital) for my FMP. These are my two best piece and probably the pieces I am most proud of.
The link below goes to my Youtube page where I have just posted a show reel of some of my work. This was created in After Effects, which I taught myself from scratch. Not bad for my first project using this software and will be looking at using After Effects more.
The attached PDF is my assignment written for Unit 69: Concept Art that received Distinction.
I know that a lot of people are interested in reading up about gaming topics so if you are interested, click the link below and enjoy!
For those of you who don’t remember, I posted previously about an assignment I was currently doing which involved designing a character based on animals. I have since added to the project so I thought I would add some more work that you could call a teaser. When the project is released, I will be posting the PowerPoint that details the project (same as what I did with the Mech 3D Modelling project)
First off, I have altered the sketch that I did of an owl’s beak by adding more texture around the beak.
The next 2 drawings were only me experimenting and scribbling a bit but I was surprised with how they turned out so decided to use them in my project. The first one is another Biro close up; this time of an eye.
I decided it was important to have a full body sketch included along with the close ups which led me to do this.
I decided to use what GCSE Art taught me and repeated my drawing using a different media so I looked at digital art and drew this using Sketchbook Designer 2010.
Basically, I’m prepping for a new assignment which involves character design based on an animal. So to begin, I chose an animal of my choice to sketch out. I chose an owl to give myself a bit of a challenge as I find that feathers can be quite hard to draw. This is my first completed sketch using a tutorial that can be found on dragoart.
After sketching out my owl, I produced my first thumbnail board of a character based on the owl. From the owl, I used features such as the rounded head and the large eyes. Because I was referring to a great eagle owl, the eyebrows of the characters represent the owl’s ear tufts.
During our class session, we began looking at another media instead of pencil so we began sketching using Biro pen. I focused on close ups of the owl and used different techniques that involved hatching, cross-hatching and scumballing. Considering that this was my very first time using Biro, I was quite happy with the results though I will be putting in a lot of practice so I can improve.
The close up of the beak was drawn onto graph paper to give the drawing a different look. This was based off of an artist’s work called Andrea Joseph. She does her work using Biro pen and a lot of it is drawn on old looking paper or lined paper, giving it a doodle appearance.